WARSAW COMMUNITY HIGH SCHOOL

2010-2011  
June - August 2011 WCHS Faculty Exhibit
May 19th

Fine Arts Festival: 7:00 to 9:00
May 2011

jail

The Kosciusko County Jail Museum: Traveling Exhibit

Jail Museum [National Register of Historic Places], in Warsaw Indiana, is a Gothic Revival Building. It was designed by George Garnsey and built by Richard Epperson in 1870. It is the headquarters for the Kosciusko County Historical Society and houses the Genealogy Library. 121 N. Indiana St, PO Box 1071, Warsaw, IN 46581-1071   Phone: 574-269-1078  Guided tours Thursday, Friday & Saturday 10:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.

April 2011

Robert Morris photography-bw
Robert Morris "Fine Art Film Photograpy done in the traditional darkroom"

"I believe that God has created a beautiful world for all of us to enjoy and appreciate. He has also given each of us the intuitive gift of being lifted by the beauty of His handiwork, whatever our level of art consciousness or training. When He gives any of us the gift to previsualize and to interpret the beauty that He has given to all of us, the photographer turns "creator" and tries to emulate or represent or interpret God's handiwork. This must be done in a state of prayer and awe and reverence for God to bless those efforts with an essence of beauty that glorifies His creation.
  Tri-Kappa Elementary Art Exhibit
March 2011

ripley's toothpick stagecoach exhiibit
Terry Woodling, Toothpicks

Toothpick stagecoach to be Ripley's exhibit: Model leaving Warsaw for Orlando, FL Nov 25 2009

WARSAW, Ind., He built a stagecoach out of toothpicks, and now a Warsaw, Indiana man is taking his labor of love to a national audience. NewsChannel 15 first introduced viewers to Terry Woodling and his creation last month. Now, it's headed for a "Ripley's Believe it or Not" Museum. "I'm bound to miss it, because it's been with me one-fifth of my life," said Woodling. Woodling, better known as "Mr. Toothpick", spent the past 15 years constructing the life-sized stagecoach replica entirely out of toothpicks inside his Warsaw garage. This week Ripley's officials are trying to figure out the best way to move the attraction from Woodling's home to Orlando. Woodling says, "Our biggest worry, to me is just getting this down to Orlando, Florida in one piece." NewsChannel 15 aired Woodling's story in late October. The incredible video was picked up by the Associated Press and seen around the world. Woodling says emails, and phone calls from around the country poured in. But, it was actually a letter from Woodling to the company that caught the attention of Edward Meyer, Ripley Entertainment's Vice President of Exhibits and Archives. "Terry Woodling's toothpick stagecoach is the biggest toothpick model we've ever seen," Meyer told NewsChannel 15. "There is no other toothpick model anywhere to compare with this...it's in a league of its own." Woodling spent more than $1,200 dollars for the toothpicks to build the stagecoach. The model has been appraised for a price ranging from $135,000 to $152,000, according to Woodling. Woodling sold the model to Ripley's for an undisclosed amount, which he tells NewsChannel 15 is less than $100,000 dollars. "That was a big relief, knowing it had a home, and a nice home," Woodling said. "That's what you normally hope for, is having something like that. It'd be neat to be there when people are looking at it and just hear their comments." Meyer added,"Ripley's display's unique one of a kind, unbelievable, amazing objects, this fits all the descriptions." To prepare for the move, the stagecoach will have to be taken apart. Woodling says it can be dismantled into at least 25 pieces. "We hope to not take it apart more than we have to, the fewer pieces the better," said Meyer. Meyer says he's eager to acquire the attraction, which he calls one of the most unique he's seen in his 32-year career with Ripley's. "I think it's one of the most amazing things I've seen this year. It's the number one thing that I've acquired, and I'd put it in the top five or six of all time in my career." Shipping the stagecoach to Orlando is bittersweet for Woodling. "My wife's going to love it, cause she wants the garage back, so that part will work out good," joked Woodling. At this point, it's not clear which Ripley's museum will become the toothpick model's new home. Meyer says he hopes to have it on display by the beginning of 2010. The stagecoach is set to be packed up and moved next Monday. Though it's gotten the most attention, the model isn't the first thing Woodling's put together solely with toothpicks. Woodling's other creations can be found around Indiana at the locations listed below:

February 2011

terry-armstrong-watercolor-paintings

Terry Armstrong, Watercolor Retrospective

Terry Armstrong is a Hoosier-born artist. Greatly influenced by visits to his grandparents' Indiana farm and the natural beauty of the area, he uses the spontaneity of watercolor, dry brush, and egg tempera to capture the true essence of the Midwest. Terry strives for balance between realism and abstraction where these images excite and evoke a strong feeling or memory. Although his paintings focus on the simple life of rural America, the artwork is also representative of the changing seasons and his childhood memories. Having spent most of his childhood in Columbia City, Indiana, Terry graduated from Carroll High School, Ft. Wayne, and earned a Bachelor of Arts Degree in both fine art and commercial art from Indiana University/Purdue University, Ft. Wayne. He retired from Biomet, Inc., an orthopedic company in Warsaw, after 25 years of service in marketing communications to pursue his passion of fine art. He now focuses on painting full time, instructing workshops, as well as teaching a watercolor class at a local college. His work has captured many honors, among which are the People's Choice Awards and Best of Show in numerous art exhibits, inclusion into the 2007 and 2008 Contemporary American Realism exhibit at the Fort Wayne Museum of Art. Terry's paintings have been exhibited in numerous galleries in the United States, including the Castle Art Gallery in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Terry is a member of the Lakeland Art Association, Warsaw, and the Hoosier Salon, Indianapolis, Indiana. The Terry Watercolor Studio and Gallery is located in their historic 1870's brick home located on twelve acres near Warsaw, Indiana, where he lives with his wife, Mary, and 17-year-old daughter, Teryn. Although much of his spare time is painting in his studio, Terry is also an avid runner and enjoys fishing, hiking and the outdoors.

December-January 2011

Christi Ziebarth-and-Jen-flowers
One Big Good: A Celebration of Freedom,
Ziebarth, Flowers and Williams

Celebrate freedom one child at a time. Local artists Jenny Flowers and Christi Ziebarth present a selection of the Art Exhibit titled “One Big Good: A Celebration of Freedom”.Joint artwork represents the “visual voice” of what Flowers and Ziebarth have coined artistic abolition.Inspired by travels to Africa, artist Jenny Flowers displays bigger-than-life black and white conte’ portraits of Ghanaian orphans rescued from present-day child slave trade and suffering. Artwork by Christi Ziebarth provides illustrative insight into life stories and cultural roots through colorful acrylic mosaic-montage. This sensitive collection of portraiture and illustration celebrates the future hope, healing, and tremendous potential each child’s life represents.

November 2010

CaraPace Studios

CaraPace Studios (Niles, MI) : "Fused & Formed Art Glass"

CaraPace Studios Art Glass Display
CaraPace Studios will have original art glass on display at Warsaw Community High School now through Dec. 16. Several artists are featured. Jamie Behrenberg earned an associate's degree in fine arts and a bachelor's degree in photography. Behrenber is currently an art director and technical advisor at Tem-Pace Inc. (tempering glass company). Lemuel Joyner is a graduate of University of Notre Dame, with a degree in art therapy, and experienced assistant professor at St. Mary's College, Department of Art. Joyner also is a certified spiritual healer. Richard J. Krause Sr., who has a background as a businessman/entrepreneur, started his own business in 1987, Tem-Pace Inc., of which CaraPace Studios is a division. Krause eventually developed his own style of approach to formed art glass. The display is located in the Performing Arts Center and is available to the public, Monday through Friday between 2:45 p.m. and 4 p.m. and when the Performing Arts Center is being used. Information on art classes at CaraPace Studios is available on its website, www.tempace.com/carapace Times Union 11/17/2010

October 2010

rowland

Jason Rowland, "Stencil Art by a guy with 2 dogs"

"Rowland Pops Onto The Art Scene" by David Slone
Times-Union (Abridged) 2/17/2010 . WINONA LAKE - Upon seeing his art pieces, people often tell Jason Rowland that they didn't know there was an artist like him in the area. Classified as a stencil artist/street artist, Rowland, 31, also does some mixed media - it all just depends on his project at the time. Like Andy Warhol's Pop Art, Rowland's works can feature anything from a stencil of Mohandas Gandhi detailed in soup can bar codes that glow in the dark, to a collage of Fisher Price® Little People with Woody Allen's head hidden in the mix. There's images of the well-known to the obscure to just random people and the family dog. During an interview Tuesday afternoon in his Winona Lake home, Rowland, a 1997 Warsaw Community High School graduate, said his art work is just a side project for now. He's been doing his art projects for several years because he didn't want to pay for art for the home he shares with his wife, Michelle, and their two children. Space for his art work in the house is running out. Last July, Rowland began looking at how he can display and sell his art. He called the Warsaw Community Public Library and they let him put up a display there. It was the first time his work was displayed out. "Since then, the ball's been rolling," said Rowland. In an art competition at the Robert Hudson Gallery in Winona Lake, Rowland won. He then took his work to Whitley County for an art show. Art & Soul in the Village at Winona gave him a one-man show. He's displayed in a show at the Creative Fish in Syracuse. On Feb. 5, Rowland participated in the First Friday Show at Murphy Art Center in Indianapolis. He goes back to Indianapolis this weekend for the Indiana State Art Show at the Indiana State Museum of Art downtown. Tuesday, Rowland found out two of his pieces will be in the Nine County Art Show in the Clark Gallery at the Honeywell Center in Wabash. He stencils and paint by hand in the traditional way, and doesn't use any of the available computer programs out there. He does different styles and backgrounds, depending on what he feels he needs to be done to the art work. Also, the time he puts into a project will depend on the project itself. One piece Rowland has done is "The David Bowie". Rowland stenciled and painted an image of Bowie. Then he covered it with cut-outs of the word "the" from magazines. It took Rowland 12 hours to complete it. Other projects may take only a couple of hours. "I try to do an ended series of five paintings, 10 paintings. I could mass produce a painting," said Rowland. "... I'm new to this whole art thing." In high school, Rowland took every art class he could so he didn't have to take the tougher courses. The art classes were the classes he always just liked, too. He didn't know about stenciling until he read about it in a skateboard magazine three or four years ago, he said. Since July, Rowland estimates he's made more than 100 works of art. "It's starting to clutter up the house," he said. The largest work Rowland has done to date is in his living room. Taken from a 3-inch stencil and placed on a projector, there's a 12-foot by 12-foot stenciled elephant on the wall. On canvas, his biggest art piece is 3 feet wide by 4 feet long. It's the painting of the Fisher Price® Little People. If anyone looks carefully, they'll find Woody Allen. Rowland has taken images of 1960s political figures and put them on a series of skateboard decks, pieces of wood and on canvas. "They're just images that popped out to me," said Rowland. "I added graffiti so I wouldn't take myself so seriously." When he started with the stenciling, Rowland used basic black and white. Along the way, his art morphed. He started with doing art of people he admired, but that morphed, too, so now he also does random people, animals and everyday objects. Rowland also has done custom work from clients' photos, images or idea. He sells his art on the Internet and has found Facebook gets him a lot of traffic. www.rowland1964.etsy.com
September 2010 Tri-Kappa Purchase Award Collection

Luke Wright-Mudlove. Several of his sculptures are in the rounds display cases.